The society adopted following for its activities:
- supporting research in the entire spectrum of chitin and appropriate enzymes. The term 'chitin' is to be understood as also embracing chitosan and all derivatives of chitin and chitosan
- disseminating results of such research
- supporting and organizing exchange between scientists engaged in chitin
- research supporting implementation of research results in the field of chitin, chitosan and derivatives
- developing contacts and links with other scientific societies both at home and abroad, representing same or similar activities
PTChit reckons 69 members representing a wide range of research domains from polymers and fibres to agriculture and medicine.
PTChit annually organizes a Workshop: New bearings in chemistry and application of chitin and its derivatives. These events contribute largely to the integration of the interested science family and prove the significance of Polish science in the world.
PTChit annually issues a periodical titled “Progress in Chemistry and Application of Chitin and its Derivatives”, containing the newest scientific attainments in chitin and chitosan in Poland.
Till 2002 PTChit was regularly editing a periodical titled: “Current Information” which was to disseminate and promote attainments in chitin and to present news concerning the activities of PTChit.
In 2001, during the session of the Board of European Chitin Society in Senigalia, Italy, PTChit was honoured with the role of organizer of the 6th International Conference on Chitin/Chitosan Euchis’04 in Poznań.
The Polish Chitin Society (PTChit) enjoys the patronage of the Ministry Education and Science (Poland), which financially supports the editorial activity of the Society and sponsors seminars.